- This topic is empty.
November 6, 2020 at 11:39 am #8737Helaine BelangerGuest
The Sound of Things Falling
by Juan Gabriel Vásquez, Anne McLean
- Release date: August 1, 2013
- Awards: Premio Alfaguara de Novela (2011), Independent Foreign Fiction Prize Nominee for Longlist (2013), Premio Gregor von Rezzori-Città di Firenze (2013), Premio de traducción literaria Valle Inclán Nominee for Anne McLean (2013), Βραβείο Λογοτεχνικής Μετάφρασης Ισπανόφωνης Λογοτεχνίας Instituto Cervantes (2015)
- Publisher: Riverhead Books
- Places: Bogotá (Bogota), Colombia
- Author: Juan Gabriel Vásquez, Anne McLean
- Language: english
- ISBN: 9781594487484 (1594487480)
- Format: hardcover, 288 pages
- Characters: Ricardo Laverde, Antonio Yammara
- Genres: fiction, novels, literature, contemporary, historical
About The Book
Juan Gabriel Vásquez has been hailed not only as one of South America’s greatest literary stars, but also as one of the most acclaimed writers of his generation. In this gorgeously wrought, award-winning novel, Vásquez confronts the history of his home country, Colombia.
In the city of Bogotá, Antonio Yammara reads an article about a hippo that had escaped from a derelict zoo once owned by legendary Colombian drug kingpin Pablo Escobar. The article transports Antonio back to when the war between Escobar’s Medellín cartel and government forces played out violently in Colombia’s streets and in the skies above.
Back then, Antonio witnessed a friend’s murder, an event that haunts him still. As he investigates, he discovers the many ways in which his own life and his friend’s family have been shaped by his country’s recent violent past. His journey leads him all the way back to the 1960s and a world on the brink of change: a time before narco-trafficking trapped a whole generation in a living nightmare.
Vásquez is “one of the most original new voices of Latin American literature,” according to Nobel Prize winner Mario Vargas Llosa, and The Sound of Things Falling is his most personal, most contemporary novel to date, a masterpiece that takes his writing — and will take his literary star — even higher.
*Winner of the 2014 International IMPAC DUBLIN Literary Award
MOBI book The Sound of Things Falling read online Android. MP3 The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vásquez on IndieBound. Paperback ebook The Sound of Things Falling buy for iPhone on Audible. Hardcover book The Sound of Things Falling Juan Gabriel Vásquez download.